Friday, November 7, 2014

Seventeen Years and Counting

Matt and I have been together now for 17 years (actually 17 years in February, 2015.) It's been so long I have a hard time sometimes remembering what it was like when we weren't together. We've weathered a lot of storms together some that would have torn a lot of couples apart. This is not to say we're the perfect couple. We both have quirks that drive the other nuts but these things are quickly put aside and harmony returns. Matt has been decorating the trailer with pictures. One of them is a graphic that says "Home is wherever I am with you." My sentiments exactly.

Matt has an agent interested in his book (The Wide Night Sky) and she's requested some changes. This is a major step in getting his book published. We're both excited but cautiously so. He's working on the changes and hopefully the agent will be happy and they'll go onto the next step. I tease that when he's writing I become a writers widower. He likes to be alone when he writes. I can understand that. Peace and quiet—except for the fact he likes to work in places like Barnes & Noble or Panera. Hardly solitude. I seems to work for him so what can I say?

One of the camp hosts here has been on the road with her husband for the past 7 months in a big diesel pusher (think of it as a big bus.) I got to got to know her when we were making smores with the children at the campground's Halloween festival. She commented on how she was looking for ways to get away from her husband and have a little alone time. She couldn't imagine that Matt and I could be together in a 28 foot travel trailer (along with two dogs) for any length of time. We've been on the road for 5 months and so far we're good. It is a little crowded in the trailer and I think a bigger rig would make things easier but right now we're happy with what we have. We do perform the getting dressed ballet that each day when both of us are trying to get ready. The bedroom is pretty much all bed (no slide out there) so getting to our closets takes a little bit of taking turns and getting out of the way. But we manage. Sometimes the best thing to do is go sit on the couch and wait for the other to get done. Same goes for the kitchen. Only one person at a time in there. I see an upgrade in our future but for now we're here in Mabel Rubain and are happy. The semi plan right now is to get a new truck and maybe, after a while, invest in a 5th wheel trailer. There are several in the park here that look like they're set up for full-timing.

Matt has an obsession with small boxes which is good. Everything now has a nice neat place and the trailer is finally well organized. We're set up so well that hitting the road will be really simple. Not much packing (or unpacking for that matter). That is a full-timers dream. Get up, hook up and go.

We're planning on staying until the first week in January. I've been talking to the other camp hosts who have been here over the winter and they said it can get cold in the rig if you don't have a good heater. We have a nice infrared heater that keeps the trailer nice and warm as well as a gas fired furnace. My concern is the sewer and water pipes freezing. That would be pretty bad. The park has been out installing heating wrappers on all of the fresh water faucets in the campground. We'll need to add those to our bag of full-timer tricks. We'll have to wrap our hoses with heater wraps or we'll run into problems.

My job this week has been to clean the camp store at night when the store is closed and the only other person there is the night ranger. It's a pretty simple job. Dusting, sweeping, and mopping. It does't take long and I can do it at night which is really when I want to work.

My Friday night pizza and a movie with my Aunt Dee continues. We get a pizza and watch old movies together. We love to try and identify the actors that we see. She's pretty good with it. Some of the actors are a mystery to me so I end up looking them up on IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase) when we can't figure them out. It's a fun way to hang out with her for a couple of hours. We usually watch Turner Classic Movies. She really likes that.

We still haven't had our inaugural Hamburger-Helper Lasagna yet. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to doing that. Love some hamburger helper! I don't know why. I've had a hankering for some good chili in the crock pot too. Looks like we're going to finally fire up the stove. Hamburger-Helper here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment