Monday, January 5, 2015

Til We Meet Again

We've been here at Bull Run in a camp host position since mid-September. It has been a great experience. The hosts were terrific, would help at the drop of a hat if you needed it, and on top of that were totally accepting of the fact that I have a non-traditional lifestyle (although it appears to be getting more traditional). We got to visit with my Aunt Dee and spent many Friday nights watching old movies and trying to remember who the actors were and what else they had done. We had a blast doing that and got to watch some very good movies. I would sometimes look up the movie on my iPhone to figure out some actor we were watching. After a while she wold ask me to look up an actor on my little computer. Always the technology maven. She usually has some little tidbit of information about my early life or some scandalous family history but not this time. She is the one who showed me a picture of my genetic father and spilled the beans that my great grandmother was an American Indian I don't know whether she's told me all she knows or there's some secrets yet to be revealed! I guess I'll have to wait.

My father's passing anniversary was on January 3rd. That was a little tough since he's only been gone for two years now. I try and have happy thoughts about him rather than feel sad. He was a remarkable man, a great father and that man had some serious math skills. When we would go to the neurologist he knew there's be a mental acuity test so on our way into the office he'd practice so he knew the date, who was president, where he lived, and what his children's names were. Most of the time they weren't hard questions he'd pass them with flying colors. Sometimes, just to let him show off a little, I'd ask him what the square root of 12 was and he'd spit it out like a calculator. That alway impressed the neurologist and I think made Dad feel a little less sick. He would love this adventure we're on.

It looks like our last night at Bull Run will be a cold one. We've got both heaters going and it's nice and cozy here in Mabel Rubain. We're headed to Charlotte tomorrow (Tuesday the 6th) to check on my mother and then to Charleston to see some friends and get in to see our doctors. This is one thing we haven't quite worked out. Our doctors want to see us periodically before renewing our prescriptions so we have to make sure we get by Charleston every 6 months or so. It's not a huge problem night now but if we decide to make a trip out West it could be a problem. So far our physicians have been good about calling in prescriptions for us wherever we are but we don't want to get to a point where we run out of something and need to see some random doctor to get a refill. They all know about our travel plans and are working with us. We are lucky to have some very good doctors. I had some work to do tonight so Matt is doing a some travel prep. Getting things properly stowed and ready to pull out in the morning. He just poured laundry detergent into the toilet and told me all the shaking as we go down the road would clean it out. I see a huge mess when we get to a park with a sewer connection. Can you imagine the bubbles coming from our sewer line as we empty our tanks. Reminds me of an I Love Lucy show. We'll see if it works. I'm skeptical. 

The weather for our trip out of here is supposed to be a wintery mix. Lovely to drive in but even better to tow a trailer in. We thought we were getting out of the cold when we head south but the cold front that is parked on the East coast is going to have nighttime temperatures in the teens in Charlotte where we stay first. We've gotten pretty good at cold weather camping. The water lines have frozen tonight so we'll have to deal with that in the morning but were warm. That's what counts. Tomorrow we drive from Bull Run to a KOA park in Fort Mill, SC. The mapping software says our travel time is 6 hours but since we're towing the trailer it will be more like 8 or 9. Charlotte and Gracie will need frequent stops to get out and stretch. They both are pretty good in the car. Charlotte sleeps in Matt's lap the whole way and Gracie finds some impossible corner to get herself wedged into for the duration. At one point, on the way up here, she was so out of it I was afraid she had died. She hadn't moved in hours--but no, she was just sound asleep. Gracie basically has three modes eat, sleep, and poop. Anything outside of those activities she doesn't like. She'd getting really fat and I know that Dr. Benton, our vet, is going to mention it. She's on phenobarbital for a seizure disorder and that is known to cause weight gain but she's really way too fat. We could all three spend a little more time on walks. 

Time to get out of the cold and back down to warmer weather. We plan on finally arriving in Dade City by the 14th or so and we'll be there for a couple of months. No camp host duties there so I can focus on work some more. I didn't say goodbye to the friends I've made in the park but told them that we hope we'd see them in another park along the way. So 'Til We Meet Again…

No comments:

Post a Comment